|Elvis Express Radio brings news of Elvis releases and provides free online entertainment & news to fans around the world. We DO NOT sell any Elvis products
|Elvis Express Radio News
|THE FINAL RECORDINGS SET FOR RELEASE
June 27, 2016 - Mass Live / Elvis Express Radio
|Forty years after they were recorded, The King of Rock 'n' Roll's final recording sessions will be released on Aug. 5 in what is billed as a definitive 2-CD set, "Way Down In The
The recordings were executive-produced by Presley with longtime producer Felton Jarvis at the controls. Taped on Feb. 2-8, 1976 and Oct. 28-30, 1976, the sessions took place
in the den in his home at Graceland – known affectionately as the Jungle Room. The Hawaiian themed den had been converted into a top-flight recording studio.
Ten of the Jungle Room master takes first emerged on "From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee" in May 1976, including the Top 10 hit "Hurt." More tracks from these
sessions were later paired with live material and released in July 1977, a month before Presley's death at the age of 42, on the "Moody Blue" album. The title track and "Way Down"
would prove to be hits.
According to the album's producers, "Way Down In The Jungle Room" has been resequenced to "bring a fresh perspective to the material." The material on Disc 2 - "The Outtakes"
was mixed for this collection at the Sam Phillips Recording Service in Memphis and includes both outtakes and in-the-studio dialogue, providing a fly-on-the-wall experience of what
the sessions were like.
The upcoming double CD set may have have been prompted by a bootleg 5-CD box set entitled "The Last Farewell" and released last year. The bootleg box set featured a
staggering 114 tracks representing multiple takes of the February and October 1976 recording sessions from the Jungle Room.
For the 1976 sessions, Presley was backed by members of his longtime touring band including: James Burton (guitar), Ronnie Tutt (drums), David Briggs (keyboards), Glenn D.
Hardin (keyboards), Jerry Scheff (bass), Norbert Putnam (bass) and J.D. Sumner & the Stamps (vocals). EER ADDS: as once again main-stay TCB Band member John Wilkinson
has been ignored as part of these sessions, we'd mention him here as Rhythm Guitarist.
"Way Down In The Jungle Room" will be released by RCA Records and Legacy Recordings. It features:
DISC 1 - THE MASTERS
01. Way Down (2:38)
02. She Thinks I Still Care (3:51)
03. Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall (3:17)
04. Pledging My Love (2:51)
05. For The Heart (3:22)
06. Love Coming Down (3:07)
07. He'll Have To Go (4:32)
08. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (3:41)
09. Hurt (2:07)
10. Never Again (2:51)
11. Danny Boy (3:56)
12. Solitaire (4:40)
13. Moody Blue (2:49)
14. It's Easy For You (3:27)
15. I'll Never Fall In Love Again (3:44)
16. The Last Farewell (4:02)
DISC 2 – THE OUTTAKES
01. Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall - take 1 (5:15)
02. She Thinks I Still Care - take 10 (6:30)
03. The Last Farewell - take 2 (4:15)
04. Solitaire - take 7 (5:37)
05. I'll Never Fall In Love Again - take 5 (4:04)
06. Moody Blue - take1 (3:53)
07. For The Heart - take 1 (3:55)
08. Hurt - take 3 (2:30)
09. Danny Boy - take 9 (4:02)
10. Never Again - take 9 3:56
11. Love Coming Down - take 3 (3:17)
12. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain - take 4 (4:59)
13. She Thinks I Still Care - (alternate version) take 2 (4:26)
14. It's Easy For You - take 1 (5:24)
15. Way Down - take 2 3:50
16. Pledging My Love - take 3 (5:34)
17. For The Heart - take 4 (4:13)